Friday, February 22, 2013

(Off topic!) Hamantaschen Recipe

Okay. I know this is a writing blog. But it's Purim, and with Purim come hamantaschen (see pic below) and I just feel like I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't tell you how to make them. So, here's the recipe and instructions. Happy Purim, sweeties. 
IMG_1109

Here's what you'll need for about 3 dozen large-ish cookies:
3 eggs
1 c sugar
1/2 c margarine
4 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp orange juice


Cream together eggs, sugar, and margarine until very light and smooth

IMG_1036

Mix in the remainder of ingredients.  It will look kind of crumbly at first, but keep working it with your hands until it comes together:
IMG_1040IMG_1042

Roll it out to about 1/8 inch and cut into circles with the rim of a drinking glass:
IMG_1046

Now, do all your assembly and baking on parchment paper.  Trust me.  Just do it.  Brush the circles with egg whites and place filling in the center.  This will go best for you if you buy the cans of pastry filling in the baking aisle instead of trying to make do with jam, etc.  It is expensive, but a little goes a long way (I think one small can made around 2 dozen cookies):
IMG_1051

Pinch the sides of the dough together to form a three-cornered shape:
IMG_1104

Into the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes. 
IMG_1057

You want them to be golden at the seams:
IMG_1116.CR2

I plated mine six to a paper plate.  You can wrap the whole darn thing in saran wrap and stick in the freezer, then pull it right out for easy gifting.
IMG_1065

8 comments:

  1. Ok, those look amazing. I think I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make you guys some before the next time I see you. They're freaking incredible.

      Delete
    2. WOW!!! those look so good I'm about to lick my screen! I'm bookmarking this because I need to make them! Like, this weekend!

      Delete
  2. if anyone is wondering how good these are, THEY ARE REALLY GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh these look good! My roommate and I are definitely going to try out this recipe, thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you just need to share a gluten-free recipe... I can't eat any tasty Jewish food :( But these look pretty, ours definitely didn't turn out this nice growing up, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ϻany more peoрle put on ѕomе of your raspberry ketoneѕ.


    Stop by my homepаge; 4ketonemetodeath.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing
    very good results. If you know of any please share. Thanks!


    Take a look at my page: chapter 7 bankruptcy florida

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin